Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Omnie-poe-tent

One of the best things about being a parent are the things my children say. My daughter always knows when she's either said something incorrectly or inserted the wrong yet similar sounding word by the giggle fit I burst into when she's trying to have a serious philosophical discussion with me.

It is my opinion that if she ever gets to attend a college that she should study philosophy since things of that nature are her favorite topic.

Last night my giggle fit was while she was attempting to have a serious philosophical discussion with me about God and whether or not there exist a truly omnipotent being out there somewhere. She mispronounced the word omnipotent and instead said omnie-poe-tent which sent me into a giggle fit. She immediately recognized that she had pronounced it wrong and tried to salvage the conversation and put me back on track by telling me I knew what she was trying to say.

Yes I knew what she was trying to say, but she had lost me to my hilarious thoughts and I had to inform her that her omnie-poe-tent being had created an image of an impotent being inside my head that had me giggling. At that point she realized she had lost me because then I reminded her of the time my mother had a vasectomy.

My mother actually had a double mastectomy a few years ago. And while sharing this with some associates visiting us at home Cherokee accidentally used the word vasectomy instead. That one had me declaring we were going to be rich along with my giggle fit because my mother was the first woman to under go a vasectomy.

I thoroughly enjoy being a parent. I look forward to things my two special needs children will say. Occasional one of them will actually say something very profound. I am totally at a loss when people tell me they're sorry that my two children are both special people because I'm not sorry. I'm blessed. My two children are beautiful human beings who are accepting, tolerant and without the petty prejudices many people have.

Even my son realizes the men running around in white hoods are just "stupid."

And as I continue to enjoy being the mother of my two very special individuals, I'm still waiting for our generous wind fall from my mother being the first woman to have a vasectomy. Perhaps that omnie-poe-tent being will cut us a check. :D

1 comment: