Friday, October 2, 2015

City Center

On Wednesday I spent the day at City Center Mall in Salt Lake City being an extra for a Hallmark Christmas movie. I'd never been to the City Center Mall before and I'd never been an extra before. And while it was an interesting experience, it wasn't a glamorous one. I had to wear winter clothes in 80 degree Fahrenheit weather and walk back and forth silently for 8 hours. I never sweated so badly before in my life. Dehydration was a real possibility. Lucky, Walter took excellent care of us. He was in charge of making sure we were where we needed to be and made sure we got water when we needed it. Lunch was provided and it was wonderful. It was wonderful to have a meal that didn't include Ramen Noodles. Often Ramen Noodles is the meal because they're more affordable than mac-n-cheese.

I got lost trying to find my way to the correct parking garage. I've been here in Utah since 2007, but I have spent very little time in Salt Lake. I guess I'm just not a big city girl. I need acreage. Yet despite how exhausted I was because I went straight from my job at Home Depot to Salt Lake when I got off Wednesday morning, overall I had a good time. I met some wonderful people that I wouldn't mind spending another day walking in circles with again. It was a good day and it put some much needed cash in my pocket. It was a positive experience and I wouldn't mind doing it again.

But I don't think I could be a full fledged actor. Too much repetition. Too much doing or saying the same thing over and over again. One of the things I had loved about being a teacher was each day was unique. Over the road truck driving was another thing I loved because each day was unique. And I really like my job at Home Depot. I work with the most wonderful people there. I just wish my position was full-time. That's it's only draw back. But it's perfect for someone who's going to school.

Except I'm not going to school. I'm supporting me and my daughter with it. But hopefully I'll be able to move into a better position soon. I'm taking supervisor training and getting certified to do a couple of other things for Home Depot. It's just hard to be patient sometimes. Especially hard to be patient when you occasionally have to skip paying a monthly utility bill to buy some groceries. So I'm just doing my best to keep my chin up and I keep putting one foot in front of the other. I know I will still continue to occasionally stumble and fall. But I'll just continue to pick myself back up and keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment