Friday, May 2, 2014

Bewildered & Relieved

Holy Cow! I find myself sitting in my apartment, bewildered and relieved. My hearing for Convergys's contestation for receiving unemployment was scheduled for 8am Monday morning and I was all ready for battle. I had my war paint on and had lawyered-up. I don't have much, but I wasn't just going to lay down and let them walk all over me. I've already spent the last several months being tortured by my Team Lead. I swear the man was trying to get me to quit because he didn't have a good reason to fire me.

So I had a pow-wow with my attorney as scheduled and went over what would happen Monday morning. The most wonderful affidavid was submitted by one of my former Team Leads where he compared working at Convergys to being in prison and explained some of the unrealistic expectations that are placed upon employees there. Yet he explained that I always did my best to try to meet all of the expectations for doing my job, and I did. Thank you, BJ.

I was ready to describe how on the day I was discharged I had been summoned to the CRG lounge and found myself walking into a room full of male Team Leads. They were talking and laughing about something, and went silent the moment I stepped into the room. I was so frightened, I almost turned around and walked back out. They all stepped out of the room except for my Team Lead, but they didn't go back to their desks. They stayed outside the door of the CRG lounge and I could hear them snickering and laughing. It was very disconcerting. Something hinkey was going on and I was very uncomfortable. Only one extra Team Lead was needed to walk me out because my Team Lead had recently had surgery on his foot and couldn't do it himself. Six extra men were not necessary.

My TL asked me if I knew what was going on and I replied that I was being fired. It had become an inevitable fact that I was going to be fired shortly after I was assigned my new TL. He began threatening to fire me my second coaching with him. He threatened to fire me pretty darn close to at least once a week. I couldn't do a thing right in the man's eyes. About every other week, he would pull me into a coaching where he would rip me apart and I would return to my seat in tears. It became a regular thing to see crying on the call floor. And I think he was deliberately miscoaching me by telling me not to worry about getting the customers' accounts noted properly, and don't worry about filling out the call tracker. When I told him something was wrong with my systems, that I couldn't walk through the door and when I clicked the guidelines I was receiving ACE guidelines instead of CRG guidelines, he told me to stop making excuses. How am I supposed to have a proper save rate when I'm not getting CRG offers for the customers, just ACE offers?

I was so ready to share all this and more with the judge. I came home from my meeting with my attorney and I was trying to relax which is very hard to do when you're scrambling to find a new job and keep yourself and your daughter from becoming homeless. Then a couple of hours later, I got a call from my attorney. Convergys had failed to call in to the appeals unit for unemployment and confirm their participation in the hearing Monday morning. Which means I win by default. I get to keep my unemployment until I either find a new job or it runs out. Let's hope I get the job I interviewed for yesterday. I think it would be a perfect fit for me.

So I find myself relieved, bewildered and a little confuse. I don't know for sure what was going on with all those TLs outside the CRG lounge snickering and laughing as I was being terminated. My guess is that they had a bet going with my TL that I would fall apart in some way when I was discharged. I think they were waiting for me to cry and beg for my job, but I didn't. I wanted to stomp on the foot he had just had surgery on, but I didn't. I wanted to punch him in the balls, but I didn't.

I don't really remember much accept that there was no real discussion about why I was being fired. I did remind him that I had just sold a bundle the previous week and my stats were improving, but he said it was too little too late. I signed the paper. There was a place for a comment and I wrote something about doing my best and that if my best wasn't good enough, then that was Convergys's loss. I remember him staring at me expectantly. He was waiting for something, but I don't know what he was waiting for. I was uncomfortable. I had just been fired for the first time in my life. I didn't know what he wanted.

I just knew one thing, he was not going to make me cry in front of all those yeahoos outside the lounge laughing at me. I think since anything I wanted to do would get me arrested for assault, I gave him some sort of compliment. I honestly have no idea what came out of my mouth accept that whatever it was wasn't something a sane person would say. I'm sure it expressed my temporary insanity whatever it was. I do remember him saying he would call me, but I wasn't dumb enough to believe that. I trust that man about as far as I can throw him.

My attorney said Convergys could still come back and re-institute the appeal against me getting unemployment, but that they better have a very good excuse as to why they didn't call and confirm their participation and let him know right away if they give me anymore trouble. Here's hoping that at least this much is all over and I can just focus on finding a new job and taking care of us.

Keep us in your prayers and many blessing your way for doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment