Thursday, May 29, 2014

Cherokee Earned Her Diploma

My baby girl came home with her High School Diploma yesterday, and I am so very well pleased with her. It took her a little longer than normal and she did it through a special education program available here in Utah, but she did it. We should be going out to do something special to celebrate, but I am still job hunting. There are no extra funds for me to take her to a movie or out to dinner or anything. I have no way to mark this special occasion with her other than tell her how happy it makes me that she finally earned her diploma. Yet I am very sad that I can't do more for her than that.

I had a preliminary group interview with Harmons in Draper the other day, and I hope it leads to an actual job. And I continue to apply for just about everything under the sun. The only thing I won't apply for or consider right now is another call center. I don't need to be chewed up and spit out like that again.

Now I just need to convince Cherokee to go to college. She's afraid she can't do it. I know she can. It might take her fifteen to twenty years to earn a Bachelors degree, but she can do it. Right now she just keeps saying she doesn't know what she wants to do. I keep telling her that doesn't matter, she can just do general studies part-time until she decides what she wants to do.

She certainly doesn't have what it takes to just get out there and get a job. And getting out there and getting a job is devastatingly difficult. People keep thinking because I have a degree that I can get a job just about anywhere and that's not true. I get turned down most of the time because I'm over qualified. Getting rejected over and over and over again starts to make you crazy, chips away at your self-esteem a piece at a time and leaves you feeling worthless.

And I'm feeling especially worthless today because I can't do anything special with or for my girl for earning her Diploma.

1 comment:

  1. I was pretty happy to hear you happy over that diploma, mom. I don't think I considered the possibility of an award or whatever.
    I really battened down those last two months and felt a real sense of accomplishment when I got my diploma. It was made even better when you were happy about it. I didn't need anything else. ^_^

    ReplyDelete